Contact the ADA Coordinator
Crystal C. Coombes
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Role of the ADA Coordinator
George Mason University is a welcoming and inclusive environment for people of all abilities. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator works within Equity and Access Services in the Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to oversee accessibility and accommodation for employees and visitors with disabilities.
The ADA team:
- Assists in determining reasonable accommodations for employees and visitors
- Collaborates with university offices, government agencies, and advocacy groups regarding accessibility issues
- Consults with employees and supervisors to resolve disability-related workplace concerns
- Reviews policies and procedures to ensure non-discrimination practices
- Provides technical assistance and direction for university policies with respect to the concerns of people with disabilities and in compliance with state and federal mandates.
- Is available to provide support and guidance to professional and instructional staff through consultation and training.
To meet a high standard of inclusion, Mason strives to provide an environment that accommodates the following examples of accessibility:
Physical: Parking lots and spaces; Entrances and exits; Emergency safety plans; Classrooms, conference rooms, event venues, and shared work spaces; Desks and personal work spaces; Hallways and stairwells; Elevators; Restrooms; Dining spaces
Technical: Web-based intranet and internet information and applications; Email and other electronic correspondence; Software applications and operating systems; Telecommunications products; Video and multimedia products; Desktop and portable computers; Self-contained, closed products (such as calculators, copy machines, and printers); Online job applications
Attitudinal: Equality; Avoidance of stereotypes; Education and training for faculty and staff regarding disability access; Bias avoidance; Privacy and confidentiality; Non-discrimination
For more information on campus accessibility and support services, please visit https://accessibility.gmu.edu.