George Mason University
George Mason University Mason
George Mason University

Where to Turn


DIAL 911

119 at Mason Korea

Mason encourages you to report sexual misconduct and to get any help you need. You have options for reporting sexual misconduct and/or finding support services for you or a friend.

Resources can be confidential or non-confidential (but still private), both on and off campus.

  • Confidential resources cannot share identifying information about you without your written consent. Exceptions can be made in response to court orders, when child or elder abuse is involved, or if there are serious threats to hurt one’s self or others.
  • Non-confidential (but still private) resources have staff who are required to report incidences to Mason's Title IX Coordinator. Other university departments may also be involved as a means to help survivors or protect the campus community.

Among Mason's offices and departments, most offer privacy, NOT confidentiality, to those who report abuse.

Those who make an accusation are known as complainants. Those who are being accused are referred to as respondents.

Mason's pledge to end sexual violence

Mason offers many resources for students and employees to provide support and guidance throughout the initiation, investigation, and resolution of a report of prohibited conduct.

Reporting Options

There is no time limit for reporting prohibited conduct to the university under this policy; however, the university’s ability to respond might diminish over time, as evidence can erode, memories may fade, and respondents may no longer be affiliated with the university.

If the respondent is no longer a student or an employee, the university will provide reasonably appropriate remedial measures, assist the complainant in identifying external reporting options, and take reasonable steps to eliminate prohibited conduct, prevent its recurrence, and remedy its effects.

The university will not pursue disciplinary action against complainants or witnesses for disclosure of illegal personal consumption of drugs or alcohol where such disclosures are made in connection with a good faith report or investigation of prohibited conduct. Complainants may simultaneously pursue criminal and university complaints.

University Title IX Coordinator

Title IX protects any person from sex-based discrimination, including sexual assault.

Dr. Jennifer R. Hammat

Office of Student Conduct

Responsible for resolving allegations of misconduct under the Code of Student Conduct, including sexual misconduct.

Dr. Brent Ericson

Other Sources of Help

Complainants have the right to notify or decline to notify law enforcement. In keeping with its commitment to taking all appropriate steps to eliminate, prevent, and remedy all prohibited conduct, Mason urges complainants to immediately report prohibited conduct to local law enforcement. Police have unique legal authority, including the power to seek and execute search warrants, collect forensic evidence, make arrests, and assist in seeking emergency protective orders. Although a police report may be made at any time, complainants should be aware that a
one-year statute of limitations may apply to certain misdemeanors in Virginia. The university will assist complainants in notifying law enforcement if they choose to do so.

• For emergencies in Virginia: 911 
• For emergencies at Mason Korea: 119 
• For non-emergencies on campus: University Police, 703-993-2810
• For non-emergencies on or off campus: Fairfax County Police, 703-691-2131, 703-385-7924
• For non-emergencies on the Science and Technology campus: Manassas Police, 703-257-8000
• For non-emergencies on the Arlington campus: Arlington County Police, 703-558-2222


Support Services (Non-Confidential, But Still Private)

Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics (CDE)

The Title IX Office is located in the CDE office. We will review the investigative process with you, provide you with resources, and work to resolve your complaints of discrimination, harassment, stalking, relationship violence, and sexual assault.

Fairfax Campus, Aquia Building, Room 373
Phone: 703-993-8730

Department of Police and Public Safety

Officers with the police department patrol the campus 24 hours a day, and provide security for the university. Students can file a report with the department and seek information about the criminal justice process.

Police Safety Building, 1st floor
Phone: 703-993-2810 (non-emergency)

Student Conduct

Student Conduct is responsible for resolving allegations of misconduct under the Code of Student Conduct. They can also advise you of the hearing process for sexual misconduct cases.

Student Union Building I, Room 4100
Phone: 703-993-6209

Student Support

Student Support provides comprehensive services for students in an effort to foster the safety and well-being of the Mason community. Staff assist students who are encountering barriers to their academic success or personal growth.

Student Union Building I, Room 4100
Phone: 703-993-5376

Employee Relations

Employee Relations provides confidential assistance to university employees and their supervisors to help identify and resolve work-related problems or pro-actively avoid potential problems. Confidential services available: coaching; consultations; policy questions; problem solving; dispute resolution; mediation; facilitation; disciplinary procedures; classified employee grievance procedures; performance evaluations; performance-improvement measures; performance expectations and goal-setting; and exit interviews.

Alan and Sally Merten Hall, 4th floor
Phone: 703-993-2600

Housing and Residence Life

Housing and Residence Life fosters dynamic, respectful, student-centered communities that support the educational development of students and Mason's academic mission. Professional and student staff are available around the clock to assist students and to ensure safety.

Potomac Heights Hall
Phone: 703-993-2720

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning Resource Office (LGBTQ)

The LGBTQ office provides direct services to LGBTQ students including advising, advocacy, counseling and referral, education and training. It offers a safe and welcoming space for all who are interested in understanding LGBTQ issues.

Women and Gender Studies Center

The center's purpose is to link with academic programs, University Life units, and the Northern Virginia community to provide learning experiences that educate about gender issues and issues of special importance to women; to provide a safe psychological and physical space for all women and gay, bisexual, lesbian, and transgender populations; and to support our academic programs.

Johnson Center, Room 240K
Phone: 703-993-2896

Off-Campus Resources

Office for Women and Domestic and Sexual Violence Services

The Office for Women and Domestic and Sexual Violence Services provides comprehensive programs for women, men, teens, and children who have been affected by domestic and sexual violence and stalking. Free counseling, group sessions, and referral services are available, at no cost.

Fairfax County Government Center
1200 Government Center Parkway, suite 339
Fairfax, VA 22035
Phone: 703-324-5730
Helpline 24-hour: 703-360-7273

Domestic Violence Action Center

The center provides services to domestic violence or stalking victims and their families who reside in Fairfax County or were assaulted or stalked in the county. Some of the services provided include crisis intervention, emotional support, counseling, education about criminal and civil justice systems, and victim advocacy.

Fairfax County Historic Courthouse
400 Chain Bridge Road, suite 2702
Fairfax, VA 22035
Phone: 703-246-4573

Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN)

RAINN, a nationwide partnership of more than 1,100 local rape treatment hotlines, provides victims of sexual violence with free, confidential services 12 hours a day. Call 800-656-4673 (HOPE).

Remedial and Protective Measures

The university offers a wide range of resources for students and employees, whether as complainants or respondents, to provide support and guidance throughout the initiation, investigation, and resolution of a report of prohibited conduct. The university will offer reasonable and appropriate measures to protect a complainant and facilitate the complainant’s continued access to university employment or education programs and activities.

These measures may be both remedial (designed to address a complainant’s safety and well-being and continued access to educational opportunities) or protective (involving action against a respondent).

Remedial and protective measures, which may be temporary or permanent, may include:

  • no-contact directives
  • residence modifications
  • academic modifications and support
  • work schedule modifications
  • interim disciplinary suspension
  • suspension from employment
  • pre-disciplinary leave (with or without pay)

Remedial measures are available regardless of whether a complainant pursues a complaint or investigation under this policy. The university will maintain the privacy of any remedial and protective measures provided under this policy to the extent practicable and will promptly address any violation of the protective measures. The Title IX Coordinator has the discretion to impose and/or modify any interim measure based on all available information, and is available to meet with a complainant or respondent to address any concerns about the provision of interim measures.

The university will provide reasonable remedial and protective measures to Third Parties as appropriate and available, taking into account the role of the third party and the nature of any contractual relationship with the university.