George Mason University
George Mason University Mason
George Mason University

Where to Turn


DIAL 911

119 at Mason Korea

Mason encourages you to report sexual misconduct and to get any help you need. You have options for reporting sexual misconduct and/or finding support services for you or a friend.


Medical Assistance:

An individual who experiences sexual assault or any other form of interpersonal violence is strongly encouraged to seek immediate medical attention. If you go to a hospital as a result of a sexual assault, you are entitled to a free evidence collection examination performed by a sexual assault Nurse Examiner (“SANE Nurse”). In Northern Virginia, the preferred hospital for such an exam is INOVA Fairfax where they have specially trained nurses on call 24 hours a day for such purposes. INOVA Fairfax Hospital provides care to sexual assault victims no matter where in Northern Virginia the crime occurred. SANE Nurses can assess injuries related to physical trauma; evaluate for sexually transmitted infections and possible pregnancy; provide medical care (including medications to prevent infections and pregnancy); and can, within the first 72 hours after a sexual assault, administer a “forensic exam.” During the forensic exam, the SANE Nurse documents and collects evidence of sexual contact and/or physical trauma (including injuries to the body and genitals), trace evidence, biological fluids, and identifiable DNA. When there is reason to believe that an assault may have been facilitated by the use of drugs or alcohol, the forensic exam may also include the collection of urine and blood samples for toxicology testing. Students and Employees are not required to report an incident to law enforcement or the University in order to receive medical attention or a forensic exam.

For assistance in this process, contact Student Support and Advocacy Center at 703-380-1434.

Regardless of whether a forensic exam is obtained within the first 72 hours after a sexual assault, Students and Employees are encouraged to seek follow-up care to address any ongoing medical concerns, including those related to sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy.

Students and Employees may access follow-up care through any appropriate health care provider outside of the University.

Local Area Hospitals:

  • INOVA Fairfax Hospital 3300 Gallows Road Falls Church, VA22042 (703-698-1110)
  • INOVA Fair Oaks Hospital 3600 Joseph Siewick Drive Fairfax, VA 22033 (703-391-3600)
  • INOVA Alexandria Hospital 4320 Seminary Road Alexandria, VA 22304 (703-504-3000)
  • Loudoun Hospital Center 44045 Riverside Parkway Leesburg, VA 20176 (703-858-6000)
  • Mount Vernon Hospital 2501 Parker's Lane Alexandria, VA22306 (703-664-7000)
  • Northern Virginia Community Hospital 601 S. Carlin SpringsRoad Arlington, VA 22204 (703-671-1200)
  • Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center 2300 OpitzBoulevard Woodbridge, VA 22191 (703-670-1313)
  • Prince William Hospital 8700 Sudley Road Manassas, VA20110 (703-369-8000)
  • Reston Hospital Center 1850 Town Center Parkway Reston, VA 20190 (703-689-9000)
  • Virginia Hospital Center 1701 N. George Mason Drive Arlington, VA 22205 (703-558-5000)
  • Mason Korea Campus: One-Stop Center (Inside of IncheonMedical Center) 217 Bang chuc ro, Dong Gu, Incheon 401-711 (032-580- 6000 or 032-582-1170)

Resources can be confidential or non-confidential (but still private), both on and off campus.

  • Confidential resources cannot share identifying information about you without your written consent. Exceptions can be made in response to court orders, when child or elder abuse is involved, or if there are serious threats to hurt one’s self or others.
  • Non-confidential (but still private) resources have staff who are required to report incidences to Mason's Title IX Coordinator. Other university departments may also be involved as a means to help survivors or protect the campus community.

Among Mason's offices and departments, most offer privacy, NOT confidentiality, to those who report abuse.

Those who make an accusation are known as complainants. Those who are being accused are referred to as respondents.

Mason's pledge to end sexual violence

Mason offers many resources for students and employees to provide support and guidance throughout the initiation, investigation, and resolution of a report of prohibited conduct.

Reporting Options

There is no time limit for reporting prohibited conduct to the university under this policy; however, the university’s ability to respond might diminish over time, as evidence can erode, memories may fade, and respondents may no longer be affiliated with the university.

If the respondent is no longer a student or an employee, the university will provide reasonably appropriate remedial measures, assist the complainant in identifying external reporting options, and take reasonable steps to eliminate prohibited conduct, prevent its recurrence, and remedy its effects.

The university will not pursue disciplinary action against complainants or witnesses for disclosure of illegal personal consumption of drugs or alcohol where such disclosures are made in connection with a good faith report or investigation of prohibited conduct. Complainants may simultaneously pursue criminal and university complaints.

University Title IX Coordinator

Title IX protects any person from sex-based discrimination, including sexual assault.

Dr. Jennifer R. Hammat

Office of Student Conduct

Responsible for resolving allegations of misconduct under the Code of Student Conduct, including sexual misconduct.

Dr. Brent Ericson

Law Enforcement

Complainants have the right to notify or decline to notify law enforcement. In keeping with its commitment to taking all appropriate steps to eliminate, prevent, and remedy all prohibited conduct, Mason urges complainants to immediately report prohibited conduct to local law enforcement. Police have unique legal authority, including the power to seek and execute search warrants, collect forensic evidence, make arrests, and assist in seeking emergency protective orders. Although a police report may be made at any time, complainants should be aware that a
one-year statute of limitations may apply to certain misdemeanors in Virginia. The university will assist complainants in notifying law enforcement if they choose to do so.

• For emergencies in Virginia: 911 
• For emergencies at Mason Korea: 119 
• For non-emergencies on campus: University Police, 703-993-2810
• For non-emergencies on or off campus: Fairfax County Police, 703-691-2131, 703-385-7924
• For non-emergencies on the Science and Technology campus: Manassas Police, 703-257-8000
• For non-emergencies on the Arlington campus: Arlington County Police, 703-558-2222


Support Services (Non-Confidential, But Still Private)

Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics (CDE)

The Title IX Office is located in the CDE office. We will review the investigative process with you, provide you with resources, and work to resolve your complaints of discrimination, harassment, stalking, relationship violence, and sexual assault.

Fairfax Campus, Aquia Building, Room 373
Phone: 703-993-8730

Department of Police and Public Safety

Officers with the police department patrol the campus 24 hours a day, and provide security for the university. Students can file a report with the department and seek information about the criminal justice process.

Police Safety Building, 1st floor
Phone: 703-993-2810 (non-emergency)

Student Conduct

Student Conduct is responsible for resolving allegations of misconduct under the Code of Student Conduct. They can also advise you of the hearing process for sexual misconduct cases.

Student Union Building I, Room 3200​
Phone: 703-993-6209

Student Support and Advocacy Center

The Student Support and Advocacy Center provides comprehensive services for students in an effort to foster the safety and well-being of the Mason community. Staff assists students who are encountering barriers to their academic success or personal growth.

Student Union Building I, Room 3200
Phone: 703-993-3686

Employee Relations

Employee Relations provides confidential assistance to university employees and their supervisors to help identify and resolve work-related problems or pro-actively avoid potential problems. Confidential services available: coaching; consultations; policy questions; problem solving; dispute resolution; mediation; facilitation; disciplinary procedures; classified employee grievance procedures; performance evaluations; performance-improvement measures; performance expectations and goal-setting; and exit interviews.

Alan and Sally Merten Hall, 4th floor
Phone: 703-993-2600

Housing and Residence Life

Housing and Residence Life fosters dynamic, respectful, student-centered communities that support the educational development of students and Mason's academic mission. Professional and student staff are available around the clock to assist students and to ensure safety.

Potomac Heights Hall
Phone: 703-993-2720

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning Resource Office (LGBTQ)

The LGBTQ office provides direct services to LGBTQ students including advising, advocacy, counseling and referral, education and training. It offers a safe and welcoming space for all who are interested in understanding LGBTQ issues.

Women and Gender Studies Center

The center's purpose is to link with academic programs, University Life units, and the Northern Virginia community to provide learning experiences that educate about gender issues and issues of special importance to women; to provide a safe psychological and physical space for all women and gay, bisexual, lesbian, and transgender populations; and to support our academic programs.

Johnson Center, Room 240K
Phone: 703-993-2896

Off-Campus Resources

Office for Women and Domestic and Sexual Violence Services

The Office for Women and Domestic and Sexual Violence Services provides comprehensive programs for women, men, teens, and children who have been affected by domestic and sexual violence and stalking. Free counseling, group sessions, and referral services are available, at no cost.

Fairfax County Government Center
1200 Government Center Parkway, suite 339
Fairfax, VA 22035
Phone: 703-324-5730
Helpline 24-hour: 703-360-7273

Domestic Violence Action Center

The center provides services to domestic violence or stalking victims and their families who reside in Fairfax County or were assaulted or stalked in the county. Some of the services provided include crisis intervention, emotional support, counseling, education about criminal and civil justice systems, and victim advocacy.

Fairfax County Historic Courthouse
400 Chain Bridge Road, suite 2702
Fairfax, VA 22035
Phone: 703-246-4573

Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN)

RAINN, a nationwide partnership of more than 1,100 local rape treatment hotlines, provides victims of sexual violence with free, confidential services 12 hours a day. Call 800-656-4673 (HOPE).

Remedial and Protective Measures

The availability of remedial and protective measures will be determined by the specific circumstances of each case. OSC, in consultation with the Title IX Coordinator, will consider a number of factors in determining which measures to take, including the needs of the Student seeking remedial and/or protective measures; the severity or pervasiveness of the alleged Prohibited Conduct; any continuing effects on the Complainant; whether the Complainant and the Respondent share the same residence hall, dining hall, academic course(s), job or parking location(s); and whether other judicial measures have been taken to protect the Complainant (e.g., Protective Orders). When implementing such measures, the University will seek to minimize the burden on the Student seeking the measures. For example, if the Complainant and the Respondent share the same class or residence hall, the University will not, as a matter of course, remove the Complainant from the class or residence hall while allowing the Respondent to remain, without carefully considering all options and circumstances.

Protective and remedial measures may be temporary or permanent and may be modified by the University as circumstances change.

Examples of such measures include:

  • Imposition of a No-Contact Directive against an Employee or Student (i.e., an order directing one or both of the parties to refrain from contacting the other, directly or through proxies);
  • Arranging a meeting with Police to discuss or report Prohibited Conduct;
  • Arranging a meeting with Police to discuss safety planning;
  • Arranging access to counseling services and assistance in setting up initial appointments;
  • Arranging access to medical services and assistance in setting up initial appointments;
  • Assistance in seeking academic assistance, including modified class schedules (including transfer to another section), permission to withdraw from and/or retake a class or attend a class via alternative means (e.g., online or independent study), extension of assignment deadlines, and voluntary leaves of absence;
  • Assistance in modifying University housing arrangements, including immediate temporary relocation to safe living quarters and/or permanent reassignment of University residence halls;
  • Assistance in modifying assigned parking;
  • Assistance in modifying University employment arrangements, including changes in work schedules, job assignments, work locations and/or assigned parking;
  • Imposing an interim disciplinary suspension and/or pre-disciplinary leave, with or without pay, on the Respondent; and
  • Any other measures that may be arranged by the University (to the extent reasonably available) to ensure the safety and well-being of a Student who has been affected by Prohibited Conduct.

In some cases, a Student may choose to seek a leave of absence or a reduced course load; these actions may, in turn, impact a Student’s immigration, visa and/or financial aid status. In such cases, OSC will connect Students with the applicable University department or unit so that they may obtain relevant information and assistance. OSC will ensure Students receive written notification of all their rights and options, regardless of whether a Student chooses to report Prohibited Conduct to the University or to the Police.