Office of the Ombudsman
For Any Issue or Concern, We Are Here to Help
The Office of the Ombudsman is a resource for informal, confidential and off-the-record problem solving, to help the student community efficiently address their university-related concerns.
The office operates under the principles set forth by the International Ombudsman Association and provides a safe space for students to review all options available to manage or resolve their concerns. You retain control of your next steps; whether there will be any next steps is entirely up to you.
As a confidential, neutral, and non-judgmental environment, the Office of the Ombudsman is available to help students explore strategies for problem solving.
The office offers informal dispute-resolution services, helps connect you with resources, and helps you think through your options, so you can make informed decisions.
The Office of the Ombudsman operates independently of any formal channels.
Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics is reviewing options for ombudsman services at Mason, as the position is currently vacant. We invite the Mason community to utilize the services, offices, and professionals on campus to resolve any issues that might arise. Your options include:
- The Dean of Students office will help with any student-related issue other than academic and financial. Contact them at 702-993-2884
- Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics will investigate reports of harassment and discrimination by and for all members of the Mason community, including complaints of sexual misconduct (Title IX) and discrimination based on a disability (ADA). Contact CDE at 703-993-8730.
- Academic Integrity will investigate accusations of Honor Code violations, as well as provide educational resources for students, faculty and staff for promoting academic success through a commitment to integrity. Contact the office at 703-993-6209.
- Counseling and Psychological Services provides: confidential personal and academic services to students; individual and group therapy; crisis intervention; consultations to students, faculty and staff; and community education programs. Contact the office at 703-993-2380.
- Employee Relations deals with confidentially issues related to university employees, with such services as: coaching; consultation; policy issues; and alternative dispute resolution (e.g., mediation). Contact them at 703-993-3878.